George Whitefield Chadwick-Suite symphonique in E flat

What prompted me listen to this piece was because I suddenly realized that I know two Chadwicks;an American lady from Chicago that used to work in Singapore and British gentleman that used to work in Hong Kong. No further details as I do not have their permission but some of my closer friends who read this would know who I am referring to or at least one of them. I was looking through my library of CDs and I have put aside those that I have not even listened at all in one corner and I sometimes wonder I am still buying CDs when I have quite a number in this corner. I think I have been stricken with the disease of collectivism if ever there is such a word.

For some reason, I have two CDs from pieces composed by Chadwick and both of them have not even been unwrapped yet. I could not even remember when and why I have bought them. Perhaps because of the recording label Reference Records reputation for good recording. Although I consider myself to be more of a music person as opposed to a sound person as I think that the music comes first. With good music, you will need good recording as well as good system to play them to enjoy it. Some of my friends are from the other camp that puts the sound system and recording above the music. There is no right or wrong but a matter of taste and preference.



After returning home from the office, I wanted something refreshing. This drew me to the unexplored part of my CD collection. Of the two Chadwick CDs that I saw, the one with the more graphic cover caught my attention proving that I am still a normal male Homo Sapien. I then sunk myself into my so called listening position or sweet spot and spin the CD and started to read the cover note of the CD. I was expecting it to be a neo-classical era as I have not come across this composer but it surprised me that he lived 1854-1931 and that the piece in question was composed at the turn of the century around 1907. When I meant neo-classical, my reference was mainly to composers that are still living today or born after 1900 although that is not quite right technically speaking.

The piece comes in four movements as with most symphonic works although I understand that Chadwick himself has avoided the label Symphony like poison and this could be the reason why it was named in that manner but after listening to the piece a few times, it really fits squarely into the classic symphonic template not only because of the 4 movements but also the order and choice of movements. It starts with a fairly energetic Allegro molto animoto that ends on a fairly percussion centered ending. It then makes way for a very lyrical Romanza in the second movement. I could not put my finger on a term but my heart just went jelly from the very first note of this movement to the last note. The second movement is awesomely sentimental and moving. I played it repeatedly a few times and it is my favorite movement.

After all the lyricism of the second movement, the third movement is a scherzo like Intermezzo e Humoreske like a good joke after all that sentimentality. Another signature of this movement is the transition into and out of the odd time signature of 5/4 and Chadwick did this not once but twice. My modern re-collection of this time signature goes to the song Take Five but the entire piece only have one time signature. This says very much about the creativity and living on unchartered water for the composer as this was done in 1907 and not in recent past where almost anything and everything that makes a sound can be music. After the joke, it is back to serious matter and the composer takes us to a rhythmic and grandiose finale befitting of the piece. The finale is like a full bodied red wine and it makes good and extensive use of a large orchestra and there is little time out for most members of the orchestra.

If you have 36 minutes to spare, this is a great piece of music not to be missed and I wonder why it is not as popular as it deserve and it is to me like uncovering a rare gem. Enjoy.

Safe Harbor. Please note that information contained in these pages are of a personal nature and does not necessarily reflect that of any companies, organizations or individuals. In addition, some of these opinions are of a forward looking nature. Lastly the facts and opinions contained in these pages might not have been verified for correctness, so please use with caution. Happy Reading. Peter Lye